Today we are considering another representative of the Fomitopsis family. The fruit body is called the oak sponge due to the peculiarities of growth and external data. To form your own opinion about this member of the family, we will study it in more detail.
- The discussed variety of fruit bodies exists for a long time, it can live up to 4 years, parasitizing on a tree. These mushrooms are lonely in nature. Sometimes they grow together, forming groups. The format of the fruit body is ungulate, prostrate or in the form of a sectioned triangle with several layers.
- The diameter of the sponge grows up to 20 cm with a thickness of 7 cm. The fruit body tightly attaches to the tree. The hat bends slightly and bulges. In the area of its base there are irregularities and bumps. The structure itself with wrinkles resembles a sponge. It is colored brown, creamy or ocher. Also there are smoky and gray lips.
- The soft part is yellow-brown, ocher, sufficiently compacted. When cut, it looks ragged. The structure itself is corky, the smell is distinct, mushroom. At the edges of the apex there are round pores, they can be elongated. The main part of the transition to some convolutions, which are connected by thin partitions.
- As can be understood from the name of this species, the sponge prefers to live on oak. In some cases there may be exceptions in which the mushrooms are located on chestnut and poplar. Fruiting is carried out year-round. In the end, the fruit body will grow to a decent size, growing every year.
- You can find these instances at various points on the globe. They are frequent and common everywhere. The main thing is that the growing environment falls under some criteria. On living trees, these sponges are rare, but it happens.
- They mainly settle in the lower part of the affected trunk. Can climb 1 or 2 meters above, some instances are located at an altitude of up to 5 meters. Parasitic fungi harm trees.
- The most common type of polypane that negatively affects the state of the wood stored in the warehouse. If it has not yet been processed, and the mushroom has already “warmed up”, then it will spoil the tree. Because of these specimens, ordinary trees are covered with brown rot and die.
- Earlier this fruit body was used for combing horse's tail and mane. It's all about compacted flesh. Long since people containing an apiary burned sponges because their smell soothed the bees, the harvest was better.
- It is worth mentioning the taste of oak sponge. It is important that fruit bodies do not fall into the category of poisonous mushrooms. However, such specimens are not consumed. The problem is they taste pretty nasty.
- Despite the inedibility, oak sponge has a lot of healing qualities. Its composition contains bioactive compounds in the form of Dedalin A and quercinol. With the release of such substances, they showed excellent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant activity.
- Fruit bodies are successfully used in traditional medicine. Healing decoction helps to cope with the disease Botkin.This remedy is recommended to be taken three times a day. It is best to carry out such a procedure for 1 before meals.
- If you are going to procure specimens for medicinal purposes, you should know about the rules for collecting and harvesting fruits. For such cases, it is best to give preference to young fruit bodies. They must not be older than 2 years. From such mushrooms, you can cook broths.
- As mentioned earlier, the considered fruits of the mushroom kingdom are not used in any form in the culinary field. The only exception can be considered mushroom powder, which is used for brewing healing tea.
- As for similar species, the white mushroom house looks like the fruit body in question. Such an instance is considered very common. However, white house mushroom contributes to the destruction of coniferous trees. It produces white rot.
- In the white mushroom fruit bodies do not develop more than 1 year. Over time, they can grow up to 20 cm in diameter. Such specimens are very thick and rigid. The surface with spores has a cream or light brown color.
- In house mushrooms formed a very powerful mycelium. It remains interesting that such specimens develop, seemingly in unsuitable conditions. Mushrooms grow with stale air, high humidity. In this case, the sun's rays are completely absent. Such fruit bodies quickly destroy wood.
The fungus is not consumed by humans for food, but its most valuable chemical composition encourages pharmaceutical companies to use discussed fruit bodies in the production of pharmaceuticals.