The content of the article
Most of the breeders at the time of delivery from pets can not understand, did the cat give birth to all the babies? This is necessary in order to avoid complications of later pathological delivery. If the birth did not end in a successful manner, in this case the birth of all the kittens, then this may cause the death of the animal or the complete loss of reproductive function.
How long does a cat give birth?
The duration of labor in representatives of the cat family depends on many individual factors. These include:
- physiological characteristics of a particular breed;
- how many times has lambing occurred;
- animal health;
- age of the cat;
- balance of hormones in the body;
- the conditions in which the pet is contained, its nutrition.
Most often, the normal birth of offspring in a cat lasts from 12 to 36 hours.With their duration, the period of preparation, labor and the birth of kittens is taken into account. Kittens come into the world in turn. The interval between their birth can be from 30 minutes to an hour or more. There are situations when it can be several days.
In cats, there is a physiological feature, due to which after the birth of a kitten, the contractions cease for some time, which allows the animal to recuperate and begin to give birth to the next babies with new forces.
How to learn about the completion of labor?
In the normal range, the end of labor in a cat is characterized by the following features:
- After about an hour had passed since the birth of the last kitten, the stomach became soft.
- The cat may leave the kittens.
- When all the babies are born, the cat may show interest in food or water.
- Breathing becomes smooth, and the heartbeat is calm.
- The newly-born mother begins to be engaged in the offspring, actively caring for the babies.
It is necessary to feel the cat's abdomen area carefully enough, without exerting effort with the help of both hands, with movements in the direction of the ribs.This should be done after at least half an hour since the birth of the last kitten.
Calm cats do not always mean that the generic process is already over. Most animals do not change their behavior during and after childbirth. If there are doubts about whether or not unborn babies remain, then a specialist should be consulted.
Symptoms of unfinished labor
To determine the owner that there are still kittens in the cat's stomach, it is extremely important to prevent the development of postpartum complications. The baby, who remained in the womb, can cause the death of the cat. If it is not alive, then after a few days decomposition will begin, and the cat will suffer severe intoxication. In another case, he may be mummified and not cause significant harm to the mother’s life, but in this case her reproductive abilities will suffer. That is why it is so important to clarify whether there are no kittens left in the cat's stomach.
If there is a suspicion that not all babies were born, you need to carefully observe the animals. There are a number of characteristic signs that indicate incomplete completion of delivery:
- The cat continues to behave as it did during childbirth.
- The new mother does not show the necessary care for the kittens, does not feed them, does not engage in licking.
- She is in no hurry to replenish power with the help of water or food.
- During palpation of the abdomen, within it are sealed seals, it is hard or tense. There is no feeling that there is nothing there.
- After 24 hours after birth, the temperature of the cat does not fall below the mark of 39 degrees.
- After 48 hours after delivery, blood is released from the birth canal, most often with an unpleasant odor.
All the above signs suggest that not all kittens were born. In such a situation, an important decision would be to immediately seek qualified help. In the clinic, an internal examination of the animal and abdominal palpation are performed, followed by an ultrasound examination, which will confirm or deny the assumption.
What can be done?
Since an incomplete delivery can lead to tragic consequences, action is required immediately.Assuming that a kitten is left in the cat's womb, more than 24 hours after the end of the birth, it is necessary to take urgent measures.
The use of oxytocin has a positive effect on the termination of labor and helps to cleanse the uterus from postpartum secretions. After the necessary result is obtained, re-diagnosis is carried out in order to clarify whether there are still kittens left in the cat in the uterus.
When providing obstetric aid to the cat, the owner needs to be vigilant and attentive, to know the basic features of the physiological structure of cats. This will make it possible to understand whether the process is completed in full or there is still a kitten in the belly of the tailed pet.If the end of childbirth is in doubt, you should immediately seek qualified assistance from a special institution. Timely measures will provide an opportunity to preserve the reproductive function of the cat, and in some cases its life.
Video: how to know that the cat began to give birth?