The content of the article
An important task of each cat owner is considered proper care and monitoring of the health of his ward. Often, an animal cannot take care of itself. For this reason, the owner must in time prevent the consequences of diseases. Let us analyze the main aspects in order.
Signs of deterioration in the state of health of a cat can be drowsiness, apathy, refusal of food and water, constant presence in a dark place, vomiting, diarrhea, and so on.
Sign №1. Reduced activity
- Evidence of the disease may be a lack of strength, fatigue during the game, severe apathy, a sleepy look. These symptoms indicate fever, problems with the respiratory system, or pain.
- At the same time, the cat does not sleep all the time, it just does not have enough strength to go to the toilet, to eat, to play and other usual actions. If you notice that the animal has rapid breathing and the pet is too sluggish, take the pet to the doctor.
- In the process of observation it is important to take into account the individual characteristics of the animal. If the type of character cat introduces itself sluggishly constantly, it is possible that she does not have enough vitamins and minerals.
Sign №2. Presence of diarrhea
- In a healthy pet, stools are fairly dense and resemble sausages. If the cat has developed diarrhea, the excreta will be liquid, not having a form. This deviation is not considered normal.
- If the general condition of the cat does not cause suspicion, wait a day. During this period, you will find out whether the pet has eaten products that could upset her stomach (milk, rotten meat, etc.).
- With a temporary breakdown, diarrhea will pass quickly. But if diarrhea is accompanied by vomiting, the animal refuses water and food, constantly clogs up in a dark corner, does not play, you should consult a doctor.
- Carefully evaluate the presence of blood clots in the feces.If they are present, go immediately for a checkup. Take photos of excrement so that the vet can quickly diagnose.
- The consequence of the disease can be frequent urging to the toilet. In this case, the cat falls on the tray, wanting to empty, but does not reach it. Also, if there are drops of blood in the urine, go to the clinic.
Sign number 3. Change in appetite
- The cat family is by nature eaten in moderation. If your pet doesn’t touch the food while filling the bowl, the animal may be sick.
- Common causes of food refusal include fever, apathy, a problem with kidney activity, and a number of other ailments.
- Only a doctor can tell exactly. Watch the cat for 24 hours, pay attention to going to the toilet and eating. If the pet's playfulness and general condition are not suspicious, the animal may not be hungry.
- In cases where the pet does not eat a day or more, while there is a constant rejection of water, go to the vet. This behavior is not considered normal.
Sign №4. Fever
- When you are suspicious about the health of the cat, take a rectal thermometer and make sure there is no heat. If the pet cannot be manipulated, call the veterinarian for the procedure.
- The cat family is characterized by a body temperature of about 37-39.2 degrees. Such an indicator is considered normal. If the thermometer is delayed at around 39.3—39.4 degrees, the cat has a fever. Do not delay with a trip to the clinic or call the doctor at home.
- The heat in pets is manifested differently than in humans. A sick cat will sleep well, refuse to drink, eat poorly or not eat at all. Also, the nose of the animal will no longer be moistened, the ears will become hot, the fur will fade and ruffle.
Sign number 5. Vomiting
- Vomiting may indicate a disease. If the cat is sick several times a day, the problem is significant. To say for sure, drink the darling. If she starts to vomit, go to the vet.
- As in the case of feces, assess the color of vomiting and make sure that there is no blood. When the doctor asks to describe the consistency and frequency, present even the smallest details.
- It is necessary to take into account the fact that too fluffy cats often regurgitate. Such a move allows them to clear the stomach of wool. If you notice that the cat vomits 1-2 times a week, while it eats, drinks and plays, everything is in order.
Sign number 6. Labored breathing
- To identify possible violations of the respiratory system, it is necessary to listen to the pet's breathing. If it is shallow and frequent, while the cat is sitting with open mouth, the problem is the place to be.
- It is also important to determine how hard breathing is. Assess the stomach, if it is very tense, go for a visit to the vet. In some cases, the purr makes breathing difficult. Assess the state when the pet is sleeping.
- In order to determine the optimal rate, attach the ear to the chest. The norm is 23-30 breaths per minute. The stronger the cat is relaxed, the lower the rate.
Sign number 7. Discharge from the eyes
- A cat can become sick with sinusitis or allergies if it has a constant tearing of the eyes.
- When the discharge is complemented by constant urging to the toilet "for a little" and a large use of water, dull wool, apathy, go to the doctor.Similar characteristics indicate kidney disease.
- Assess the pupils, they should not be dilated. In other cases, this aspect can cause a number of diseases (if the pupils dilate and remain in this state for a long time).
Measure the temperature of the animal to make sure there is no heat. Attach the ear to the chest, count the number of breaths. Assess the condition of the eyes, observe the activity and appetite of your pet.
Video: how to understand that the cat is sick