The content of the article
- 1 The beneficial properties of cinnamon
- 2 Types of this spice and its composition
- 3 Cinnamon dosage
- 4 Cinnamon in various diseases
- 5 The combination of honey and cinnamon
- 6 Cinnamon Tea
- 7 How to add cinnamon to your diet
- 8 Contraindications Cinnamon
- 9 Unwanted interactions
- 10 Video: beneficial properties and harm of cinnamon
Cinnamon is considered a real natural treasure. This spice is often used in confectionery and various culinary dishes. In addition to the exquisite aroma and incredible taste, it has a number of useful properties that you should be aware of. It is rich in vitamins and beneficial elements. Spice is also known for its antioxidant effect, which is actively used in cosmetology.
The beneficial properties of cinnamon
This red-brown spice has healing properties that have been known since antiquity. In the Middle Ages, doctors used cinnamon to treat arthritis, cough and sore throat. Cinnamon adds energy and vitality, is an excellent source of calcium, iron and manganese.It stimulates digestion, provides the body with fiber, helps in the fight against diarrhea.
- and diuretic action.
It should be noted that cinnamon stimulates the gallbladder, as well as the kidneys, liver, the entire digestive system, which has a positive effect on the functioning of the body. It also stimulates the nervous system, helps treat depression and improves mood.
This spice improves the blood supply to the brain, so that brain cells get more oxygen and nutrients. This allows you to improve concentration and visual memory.
Cinnamon essential oil is widely used. It tones the body, relieves seizures, is an analgesic. The oil has a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system and has an antiseptic effect. It is often used to treat:
- relieving rheumatic pain;
- recovery of the menstrual cycle.
Types of this spice and its composition
There are two main types of cinnamon: ceylon cinnamon and cassia. Ceylon spice is considered more useful and has found widespread use in Western European countries. Southern China is considered the birthplace of cassia, which is why it is often called Chinese cinnamon. It is much cheaper than Ceylon cinnamon.
These two basic types differ in appearance, color and taste. Their main differences are:
- Ceylon cinnamon has a delicate and sweet taste and a more delicate aroma. It is lighter in color (light brown), and the product itself has a thin crust (which is so soft that it can even be chewed). In appearance, it looks rolled up like a roll.
- Cassia differs in more spicy taste and more acute aroma. The color is reddish brown, and the sticks are thick and curved on both sides.
In addition to the difference in taste and aroma, Ceylon cinnamon has a very significant advantage - it contains about 1000 times less coumarin. This is very important because coumarin is toxic to the kidneys and liver, and when consumed in large quantities can cause serious harm to health.
Ingredients 10 g cinnamon:
- energy value: 24.7 kcal;
- Fat: 0.12 g;
- carbohydrate: 8.06 g;
- proteins: 0.4 g
In addition, cinnamon is rich in basic minerals such as manganese, iron and calcium, and also contains a large amount of fiber.
The exact dosage of cinnamon is a moot point. According to studies, it is enough to eat about 3-5 grams per day to obtain therapeutic effects. The exact amount depends on many factors, including age, health, body weight, etc.
But the consumption of more than 6 grams of spices per day is strictly contraindicated. This is due to the fact that in the composition of the spice contains coumarin. This substance in large doses is very toxic to the liver.
Cinnamon in various diseases
This spice helps to fight a variety of diseases. In most cases, simply eating it by adding to tea or dishes. Sometimes rubbing is used with the use of cinnamon essential oil.
Cinnamon against flu and indigestion
With flu and an upset stomach, tea with the addition of this spice will be very effective. You can drink it 3-4 times a day.It is best to drink it after meals. For making tea, you can use powder or sticks.
Cinnamon Tea Recipe:
- Take the teapot into which the tea is poured. It is added 0.5 teaspoon of cinnamon, then boiled water is poured.
- Drink in a kettle you need to insist a few minutes, after which it should be mixed.
- Pour the tea into the cup and wait until it cools down a little and becomes warm. Add some honey. Drink a drink while it is warm.
According to scientific data, the inclusion of cinnamon in the diet can help improve glucose and lipid levels in patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. The authors of the study state that eating 3 to 6 grams of spice per day lowers blood sugar and triglycerides. . This reduces the level of bad cholesterol LDL and total cholesterol in the blood.
The use of cinnamon can reduce the risk factors associated with diabetes. In addition, cinnamon extract can prevent a sharp decrease in fasting blood sugar levels, which will prevent symptoms such as fainting or dizziness.
Cinnamon for the prevention of Alzheimer's disease
Increasing evidence suggests that the accumulation of soluble oligomeric β-amyloid polypeptide (Aβ) plays a key role in the development of Alzheimer's disease. However, it was found that the natural substance found in cinnamon extract (CEppt) has the ability to inhibit the formation of toxic Aβ-oligomers. This makes this spice a powerful ally in preventing Alzheimer's disease.
A study of experimental mice with an aggressive form of Alzheimer's disease showed a significant improvement in cognitive behavior and survival. Moreover, their illness has not progressed as usual. This means that cinnamon extract can also be used to treat Alzheimer's disease. However, for this purpose, spices should be taken in large quantities, which can be very harmful for the body.
Cinnamon against arthritis and osteoporosis
Many patients in recent years have gotten rid of joint pain due to regular consumption of cinnamon and cinnamon massage. This is due to the fact that the spice contains a significant amount of manganese - the mineral necessary for the formation of bone tissue and the functioning of blood cells.The body needs manganese to maintain an optimal state of the bones, so people with a deficiency of this mineral are more likely to develop osteoporosis.
Cinnamon against fungal infections
Cinnamon contains a substance called cinnammaldehyde, which has bactericidal and analgesic properties. It has been shown to be extremely effective in suppressing some resistant fungal and bacterial infections. This is especially true of E. coli and Staphylococcus aureus.
The most pronounced antibacterial properties in cinnamon oil. It is used for external topical use, with the exception of the genital and mucous membranes. The most effective recipe is a mixture of 2-3 drops of Ceylon cinnamon oil with 2 tablespoons of almond or olive oil.
Cinnamon and weight loss
This spice is considered an ally for all those who want to lose those extra pounds. It speeds up the metabolism, improves the digestive process and regulates the activity of the kidneys. Regular consumption will improve metabolism. This leads to the fact that fat from food is more effectively eliminated from the body.
Since cinnamon helps to get rid of excess weight, it is often a component of anti-cellulite creams. Such a cocktail will be very useful for weight loss: one glass of kefir or yogurt is taken. It should be added to 0.5 teaspoons of cinnamon and ginger, as well as a pinch of chili. Everything is thoroughly mixed and drunk. It is worth noting that the cocktail is effective only if it contains all the listed ingredients. However, do not forget that the best way to lose weight is proper nutrition, a healthy lifestyle and physical activity.
The combination of honey and cinnamon
All the beneficial properties of cinnamon are further enhanced by mixing it with honey.
- With sore throat. This is one of the most enjoyable home remedies. To treat a sore throat, a spoonful of honey is mixed with the same amount of cinnamon. It is necessary to turn the resulting mixture into a thick suspension, which is then necessary to eat. The slightly coarse consistency of the mixture helps to clean the throat effectively.
- Benefits for the immune system. Cinnamon contains antioxidants and flavonoids, like cocoa.Every morning on an empty stomach it is recommended to eat a spoonful of honey with cinnamon. It is better to dissolve them in a glass of milk. This will improve the immune system and prevent the flu.
- Unpleasant smell from the mouth. Every morning, rinse with honey and cinnamon, which are stirred in a glass of water, should be performed. This will effectively get rid of bad breath.
One of the most pleasant ways to consume large quantities of cinnamon is an aromatic tea. To make it, you can use the following recipes:
- The easiest and most effective method is to put a whole stick of cinnamon (preferably Ceylon) in 200-300 ml of boiling water. After the drink has cooled slightly, add a spoonful of honey to it.
- If cinnamon sticks are missing, cinnamon powder can be used. In 300-400 ml of boiling water is added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Next, boil the water for about 5 minutes, after which the drink is filtered through a fine filter or gauze.
This tea is especially effective in irritable bowel syndrome. A very good addition to cinnamon tea will be a piece of ginger.
You can make cinnamon tea more fragrant and attractive:
- You need to wash as many apples as you need to make cups of tea.
- A sharp and short knife is taken (for fruit) and the inside of each apple is cut to make an empty container.
- Tea is prepared in one of the above methods and poured into apples.
How to add cinnamon to your diet
Aromatic spices can be widely used as a supplement to various dishes and drinks. It can be added to tea, coffee or cocoa (cinnamon sticks are more suitable for this), liqueur, wine, and punch.
Cookies and various desserts will be very tasty and unique when adding this spice. Sometimes it is added to oatmeal or baked apples. You can also make a drink of honey and cinnamon, or simply mix them for immediate consumption.
The recipe for a delicious drink: a glass of fresh milk, honey and cinnamon. The number of ingredients is chosen individually to taste, but it should not exceed the recommended dose. In addition to powder and sticks, cinnamon can also be taken in the form of tablets.
As a rule, eating cinnamon is safe for most people. But in addition to all the beneficial properties of cinnamon, you should also indicate some of the risks that may arise, especially with excessive consumption of spices.
- Since cinnamon is a powdered bark of the tree, it has a high cellulose content. As a result, it is difficult to digest, which in some people can cause discomfort and the formation of gas in the abdominal cavity. This means that patients who are sensitive to cellulose should not consume spice in large quantities.
- Cinnamon should not be used by people with ulcers and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. Its consumption should be limited to pregnant women, since a large amount of this spice can lead to premature birth.
- Spice is contraindicated for people who are allergic to this product.
- It is undesirable to include it in the babies menu.
Taking more cinnamon is also not recommended under the following conditions:
- cirrhosis of the liver;
- certain hormone-dependent cancers such as breast cancer;
- serious heart problems;
- hormonal abnormalities;
- low blood pressure;
When applied to the skin, cinnamon can cause irritation and allergic skin reactions.
A huge risk is trying to swallow a whole teaspoon of cinnamon powder! It is very dangerous to consume the spice without dissolving it in food or any drink. It causes coughing and choking, as well as a burning sensation in the mouth, nose and throat. Other effects may occur, including nausea and nosebleeds.
Inhalation of cinnamon powder may cause choking! In addition, there is a serious danger that part of the powder will go directly to the lungs. This can have serious consequences, such as pneumonia, thickening of the lung tissue (fibrosis), scarring, pneumonia, lung collapse.
Patients with asthma or other respiratory problems when taking cinnamon are at risk of breathing difficulties.
As already mentioned, coumarin contained in cinnamon can cause damage to the liver. Therefore, the combination of spices with drugs that have an effect like coumarin, is undesirable.It is not recommended to use too much cinnamon if a person takes any of the following medications:
The combination of drugs for the treatment of diabetes may have a risk of excessively lowering blood sugar levels, so cinnamon should be taken with extreme caution when using the following products:
You should also be careful when combining spices with alpha lipoic acid and chromium.
Large amounts of cinnamon should not be taken along with some natural remedies and herbs that potentially adversely affect the liver, for example:
- peppermint oil;
- red yeast rice
You need to be careful when combined with the following herbs that can lower blood sugar levels:
- bitter melon;
- horse chestnut;
Guar gum, used as a stabilizer and thickener in the food industry, also has the ability to lower blood sugar levels. Therefore, in diabetes, you should avoid eating foods containing guar gum, along with lots of cinnamon.
Video: beneficial properties and harm of cinnamon