The content of the article
The diet of the future mother should be balanced. Both the lack and excessive amount of any substances can disrupt the correct course of pregnancy and cause harm to the health of the fetus. In the menu of a pregnant woman must be dairy products, a variety of cereals, lean meat, vegetables and fruits. Fresh berries and fruits are rich in fiber and vitamins necessary to maintain the health of the future mother. All this fully applies to pomelo.
This exotic fruit for our country has several names - pomelo, pompelmus, sheddok (that was the name of the English captain who brought plant seeds from the Malayan archipelago to the West Indies). Now this citrus is grown in the south of China and Japan, in Thailand, Vietnam, India, Indonesia and some other areas with a warm climate.The fruits of pomelo, like many citrus fruits, are divided into slices. Ripe fruits, depending on the variety, have a color from pale green to yellow, sweet or sour-sweet. Fruits are larger in mass than grapefruit, have larger and more elastic fibers than other citrus fruits. Under natural growing conditions, fruits can reach a mass of 10 kg, but in our supermarkets the average weight is 1.5 kg. Different varieties differ in the color of the pulp. It can be white, pale yellow, pink. The skin of the fruit is thick and thick, after removing it, the size of the pomelo decreases by almost a third. Eat fruit both fresh and processed.
How to choose a pomelo?
When buying this fruit should pay attention to some of the signs:
- Ripe quality pomelo has a firm, dense flesh, its skin is elastic.
- If the skin is soft, it is easily squeezed with a finger, the citrus has been torn off for a long time, lost its juiciness and elasticity. He has large seeds, "cotton" flavor.
- Seals, patches on the peel indicate violations during the cultivation or storage of fruits.
Pomelo is a valuable dietary product containing a lot of nutrients, with a minimum caloric content.
- minerals - phosphorus, iron, copper, zinc, manganese, potassium, calcium;
- vitamins A, C, H, PP, group B;
- alimentary fiber;
- organic acids;
- essential oils.
Nutritional value of 100 g of product:
- calorie - 25–38 Kcal, the sweeter the broom, the higher its caloric content;
- proteins - 0.8 g;
- carbohydrates –9.5 g;
- cellulose - 1 g;
- water - 89 g
The benefits of pomelo during pregnancy
The menu of the future mother should include a variety of fruits and vegetables, allowing to obtain the optimal set of vitamins, trace elements and other nutrients.
The main beneficial properties of citrus:
- Regular consumption of vitamins rich in fruit strengthens the immune system, increases the body's resistance to colds, infectious diseases and viral diseases. This is especially true during the cold season, as expectant mothers are not recommended for treatment with tablets.
- Many pregnant women in the second half of pregnancy suffer from high blood pressure. Normalize the pressure and increase the elasticity of blood vessels can, if regularly used pomelo.
- Despite the low calorie content, this citrus is an excellent source of energy, it tones well and improves performance.
- Fruit perfectly quenches thirst.
- A pregnant woman experiences an increased need for calcium intake, which is necessary for the formation of the infant’s skeletal system. Pomelo has this metal in its composition, thanks to which a woman can avoid the problems caused by leaching of calcium and keep her teeth and bones healthy.
- Pomelo has a beneficial effect on the digestive system, facilitates the digestion of food, is the prevention of constipation and flatulence. Pectins are removed from the intestines toxins and slags.
- Because of its low calorie content, pomelo helps prevent overweight. The enzymes included in its composition, provide a rapid breakdown of fats, not allowing them to be deposited in the tissues. Also, these enzymes activate metabolism.
- The use of this delicious fragrant fruit improves mood.
Not only the fruit itself, but also its skin has healing properties. Tinctures or decoctions of the peel of this citrus will help in the fight against cough, gastrointestinal disorders, poisoning, asthma.Add the peel of pomelo in tea with honey, and you get a fragrant healing drink. This tea is an excellent prevention of colds.
Harm from eating pomelo during pregnancy
Despite all its useful qualities, in some cases, pomelo can have a negative effect on the body:
- We must not forget that pomelo is a citrus, therefore, can cause allergies.
- Pomelo increases the level of estrogen in the body, can make the blood more thick. The consequence of this will be the occurrence of thrombosis, impaired blood flow, deterioration of the oxygen supply to the infant and beneficial substances.
- Excessive consumption of fruit causes an increase in acidity. You can not use this citrus in the presence of gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer, colitis, hepatitis. Even in the absence of these diseases, heartburn, which occurs in a large number of pregnant women, can worsen.
- With elevated blood sugar, you should consult with your doctor, who will help determine the rate of this useful, vitamin-rich product.
If the future mother is healthy, there are no contraindications for the use of pomelo, this fruit will bring her only benefit. Eat three slices of citrus in the morning on an empty stomach. This will start the work of the digestive tract, will raise your spirits, quench your thirst, invigorate.
Video: the benefits and harm of fruit pomelo