The content of the article
Chia seeds - under this name we know the most useful product for health - the seeds of Spanish sage. Seeds before use are not processed, not ground. Thus, they retain all their beneficial properties, are well absorbed by the body.
The homeland of Spanish sage is the country of South America. The ancients used this plant for medicinal purposes, as a means of strengthening strength and endurance. These seeds were especially appreciated by warriors. They were well kept, did not take up much space during the trip, provided the body with essential nutrients, vitamins and trace elements. In the nineties of the twentieth century, nutritionists remembered a forgotten plant, began studying it and promoting it on the world market.
Chia seed composition
The number of supporters of a healthy lifestyle is increasing every year.An increasing number of people are striving to play sports, eat right and be attentive to their health. They pay great attention to prevention, they are actively acquainted with the achievements of traditional medicine. In the last two to three decades, chia seeds have become particularly popular among vegetarians in North America, and then in Europe. They are used for the prevention and treatment of various diseases, weight loss. The pips are oval-shaped, resembling flax seeds. They have a shiny surface with a characteristic pattern. Light taste reminds nutty.
On the magical properties of chia seeds appeared a lot of the most contradictory information.
Medicinal qualities are determined by the chemical composition of the seeds, it is as follows:
- carbohydrates - 6%;
- fat - 31%;
- proteins - 16%;
- fiber - 38%.
Caloric value of the product is 486 calories.
Due to its composition, these seeds have gained particular popularity among vegetarians, especially vegans.
Chia seeds contain:
- calcium, in 100 g of seeds is 631 mg of an important metal for health;
- magnesium, 100 g of seeds contains a third of the daily norm of an adult;
- iron, it is several times more than in spinach;
- potassium in seeds is one and a half times more than in a well-known supplier of this element - a banana;
- omega – 3 fatty acids, the same amount of salmon fillet contains 2 times less;
- antioxidants, in their amount of chia, are ahead of berries and fruits.
In addition, chia seeds contain protein, amino acids, manganese, phosphorus, zinc, copper.
Useful properties of Spanish sage seeds
This product has a positive effect on the body. Numerous clinical and laboratory tests were conducted, during which a beneficial effect on many organs and systems was revealed.
Sage seeds have the following beneficial properties:
- Improve the work of the cardiovascular system. Omega – 3 and omega – 6 fatty acids help cleanse blood vessels from bad cholesterol. So they improve the blood circulation process, regulate metabolism, stabilize blood pressure.
- A large amount of fiber is not digested in the stomach, facilitates the removal of toxins from the intestine. All useful elements from food are absorbed more fully.
- Have hypoallergenic properties.
- They contain a large amount of antioxidants, slow down the aging of the body.
- Calcium contained in a large amount strengthens the musculoskeletal system, the condition of hair and nails, improves overall health.
- Promote weight loss. Cellulose absorbs water, increases in volume several times. This contributes to the rapid emergence of satiety, the blunting of hunger. Chlorogenic acid contained in chia seeds actively fights fat. This releases a large amount of energy needed for vigorous physical activity.
- With diabetes, stabilize blood sugar levels, prevent sudden jumps in glucose levels. Fiber contained in grains reduces the risk of obesity, which has a positive effect on the condition of a patient suffering from diabetes. Remember, they are not a remedy. Chia seeds can be used as an auxiliary product, which has a beneficial effect on the general condition of the body. Refusing to take drugs and violating the diet is unacceptable.
- They have a beneficial effect on hormones.
- They have a sedative, mild sedative effect.
- Relieve the condition of patients suffering from asthma attacks.
- Strengthen the body's defenses.
Can everyone use sage spanish?
Chia seeds have some contraindications, not always and not all, they will benefit:
- Contain a lot of fiber, poorly digested in violation of the gastrointestinal tract. For people suffering from constipation, it is advisable to soak the seeds before use.
- Grains cause increased gas formation. Therefore, persons prone to flatulence, it is better to abandon their use.
- Since the product is capable of lowering blood pressure, hypotensors should not include them in their daily diet.
- In the presence of food poisoning associated with this diarrhea, the reception of seeds should be temporarily stopped until complete recovery.
- Eating chia seeds in people with kidney disease is highly undesirable, they can cause exacerbation of the disease. In this case, consult a doctor.
- The effect of chia seeds on the health of young children, pregnant and lactating women is not fully understood.
- While consuming a variety of drugs, taking chia seeds can weaken or increase their effects. Discuss this with your doctor.
Chia seeds for women
The beautiful half of humanity appreciates these seeds not only for its healing properties, but also for its ability to maintain youth and beauty. Nourishing masks, creams and lotions containing chia oil are used for the following purposes:
- to prevent wrinkles and reduce existing ones;
- to moisturize the skin;
- to reduce inflammation and irritation;
- to protect the skin from the effects of negative environmental factors.
Chia seeds contain a large amount of antioxidants that fight free radicals and slow down the aging of tissues.
The use of these tiny grains supports the normal activity of the endocrine system, has a calming effect, eases the state during critical days. The trace elements contained in the grains, especially magnesium, alleviate mood swings, reduce fatigue. Manganese helps the production of sex hormones,copper and iron are involved in the restoration of blood formation. Fiber helps cleanse the body of toxins.
Chia seeds for men's health
This product provides large amounts of energy. Seeds, rich in nutrients, contribute to the proper flow of metabolic processes, quality recovery after exercise, increase stress resistance of the nervous system. Seeds reduce the amount of harmful cholesterol, improve the cardiovascular system, reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes. This product improves the function of the endocrine glands, prevents the occurrence of problems associated with men's health - prostate adenoma, erectile dysfunction, and pathologies of the organs of the genitourinary system.
Chia seeds will help men engaged in active sports to strengthen the musculoskeletal system, restore potassium levels, normalize blood pressure after exertion, and provide protein.
Eating chia seeds
On sale you will find chia seed cold pressed oil and the seeds themselves.The pips can be eaten raw, you can make porridge from them. Seeds are useful to add to first courses, salads. Ground seeds are useful to introduce in baking, mixing into the flour. They have a pleasant nutty flavor that will improve the taste of your buns or bread. Chia seeds are added to cocktails, sauces, seasonings. Chia seed oil can be refilled salads, they must be pre-filled with water or other liquid, so that they swell. Chia seeds are very beneficial for fasting people and vegetarians. Any dish becomes tastier and healthier.
Try not to subject the seeds to long-term heat treatment, in this case most of the useful properties will be lost.
Ways of use:
- The easiest way is to use dry kernels. They contain a sufficient amount of useful substances necessary for proper digestion, speeding up the metabolism, getting rid of extra pounds. On the day you can eat 2 tablespoons of dry grains.
- Using a coffee grinder, you can make chia seed flour. Replace this powder with a portion of the flour or egg when making the dough.For example, a tablespoon of seed powder in the dough will replace 2 eggs. Seeds have a neutral, light taste, they can be used as a seasoning for almost any dish. The feeling of satiety will occur much faster. The daily dose of powder is the same as when using whole seeds.
- You can pre-soak the seeds. For a tablespoon of seeds, 60–100 ml of water or juice is sufficient. After 10 minutes, you get a thick gel that can be used alone or mixed with other products. In the stomach, the soaked seeds form a protective film that protects the walls of the stomach from irritation, reducing the absorption of carbohydrates and sugar.
- Seeds can be added to dishes when cooking porridge, vegetable or meat stew, jelly.
After eating food containing chia seeds, you need to drink at least a glass of water. Seeds need liquid for swelling, otherwise they linger in the stomach or intestines and will absorb water from the body. This can lead to constipation and intestinal obstruction.
Use of seeds for weight loss
A good effect is observed during the weekly unloading day. Pour a tablespoon of seeds with four glasses of kefir, stir well, send in the refrigerator. Eat a glass of this mixture every two and a half hours. It is important that the body on this day received enough liquid, at least 2 liters.
Chia seeds do not cause allergies, they can be used by almost everyone. The exception is made by the persons possessing individual intolerance of components of this plant.
Video: dietary properties of chia seeds