The content of the article
Veterinary medicine has gone far ahead, so today there are several basic methods of sterilizing cats. One of those is considered to be chemical, performed through special substances. They suppress the sexual functioning of the female, so this technique can be considered an alternative to surgical intervention. But many owners want to know about all the positive and negative features of the procedure before sending the animal to the vet.
Pros and cons of chemical sterilization
Under the influence of chemistry, the cat ceases to experience sexual desire for the male. Therefore, the organism in this regard no longer functions, and all abilities to continue the continuation of the species subside.
There is not only sterilization, but also castration with chemicals. In essence, these methods are virtually identical.It is perhaps that the sex of the animal.
To date, there are several varieties of such sterilization: radiation, implantation of the chip under the skin and contraception medications (tablets and injections are used).
Drugs that suppress sexual activity can be produced in the form of injections, drops and tablets. In veterinary practice, the most common are the following drugs: "Megestrol", "Covenant", "Suprelorin", "Proligistrol". Other agents, including progesterone, may also be used.
- The procedure is painless, unlike the one that is performed on the surgical table. As a result, the animal does not require a long and painful rehabilitation. Perhaps this is the most fundamental plus, pushing owners to resort to this method of sterilization.
- There is no likelihood that as a result of the operation, the animal will face an allergy to anesthetic drugs, and will suffer from non-healing stitches for a long time. It also eliminates the risk that infection will occur after the operation.
- Since free-range cats can bring unwanted offspring into their homes, not every owner is happy with this outcome.Also during the sterilization chemistry eliminates the risk that the animal will become infected from stray cats. The procedure itself is quick to restore, soon the cat will again be able to go out, but she will not have such craving for passion as before.
- If the owner of the cattery has decided to precisely sterilize the cat with chemical means, it is necessary to prepare in advance that this procedure will last for the duration of the animal's fertility.
- Sterilization is carried out by means of hormonal agents, entailing side effects. They can cause the development of serious pathologies in the cat in the future. Then without an operation just can not do. Before sterilization, the animal must be sent for thorough inspection.
- The price policy for sterilization with chemicals is several times higher when compared with surgery. Since the procedure itself is long, you will have to prepare for the fact that every time you need to buy a new batch of medicines.
- Again, due to the fact that the procedure is carried out with the help of hormones, the cat may begin a strong adverse reaction.In most cases, the animal loses hair, is sick with cancer, begins to rapidly gain weight, while eating little.
The question about which method to prefer is often asked by the owners of four-legged friends. But in this case it is necessary to build on solely the health of the animal and the recommendations of the veterinarian.
- Treats the sparing versions of chemical sterilization. A chip in the area of the withers is implanted under the skin. Over time, it resolves. The chip is understood to be “grain” the size of a fig. It is charged in a veterinary pistol, and then injected under pressure under the skin.
- Substances in the composition of the chip do not immediately begin their action, but after about 5-6 months. Next, the chip works for another 1.5 years. If the female mates with the male in the period of six months after chipping, fertilization will occur. Therefore, you need to follow the cat.
- If the chip is removed, its effect will stop after 3 months. Therefore, the procedure can be called reversible. The ability to continue the kind will be restored. Chip animals with the drug "Suprelorin". The amount of injected substance is determined by the doctor.
With this method of contraception, there are 2 methods. Among them should be allocated injections or tablets (drops).
- Among the drops and pills, the most popular medicines are well-known companies under the names "Conra-sex", "Sex-barrier" and "Cote-Bayun." This method is considered the cheapest method of sterilization.
- Only here it is worth noting some cons. Often with the regular use of such drugs in animals develop oncological pathology. In cats, tumors of the ovaries, appendages and lactic glands are formed.
- As for chemical castration of animals, the procedure is carried out in the form of injections. Often, veterinarians use a drug called "Kovivan". The effect of the drug lasts up to six months. This substance is allowed to apply only to cats.
- Far from many owners of four-legged friends know that in European countries it is forbidden to give hormonal drugs to pets. In some states, criminal punishment is even provided for such actions.
- The main problem in the use of drugs is that the receptors are located throughout the body, and they take in all the progesterone.Because of this, a cancer can develop in any organ that is regulated by hormones.
- Numerous studies have shown that substances that inhibit estrus and the activity of the testes contribute to the development of diabetes in an animal. In addition, the endocrine system is significantly impaired.
- Consider the side effects of the drugs used is very difficult to predict. Ultimately, the pathology caused will have to be treated throughout the life of the animal. Consider, the worst consequence after such drugs is considered pyometra.
- The disease is accompanied by a thickening of the mucous membrane of the uterus. In such an environment, cysts and small vesicles begin to form. After that, pus appears. The disease can be detected in acute form. The uterus will be filled with pus to failure. At the same time, it becomes painful and red.
- An animal with this disease will not eat and barely move. Thus, the whole body is intoxicated. Appetite disappears, and thirst increases at times. The animal will constantly drink water. A specialist can save the pet if he cuts out the uterus.
When sterilizing an animal, examine all the positive and negative aspects of the presented methods. Do not skimp on this procedure. Do not give the animal medication. In this case there will be many side effects. The pet will often be sick and constantly tormented. Take responsibility for the procedure and consult your veterinarian.
Video: sterilization and castration of cats - the pros and cons