The content of the article
Cloudberries are a rather unusual berry that is rarely spread on supermarket shelves. It is poorly amenable to artificial cultivation, so you can meet in some Scandinavian and Baltic regions, as well as in the north of Belarus and Russia. For decades, locals have been using valuable fruits, leaves and sepals for medical purposes. Not to mention the fact that the ripe berry has a characteristic sweet taste and perfectly emphasizes the taste of sweet pastries or meat sauces.
Healing properties and good gastronomic indicators make cloudberries a welcome guest in our diet.
Cloudberry unknown to many wins the competition with orange, as it contains several times more ascorbic acid.
Also in its composition are the following useful components:
- organic acids (malic, citric and salicylic);
- polyunsaturated fatty acids (linoleic and alpha-linoleic);
- macro- and microelements (calcium, sodium, aluminum, phosphorus, magnesium, silicon, potassium, iron, etc.);
- vitamins of groups E, C, A, B and even PP;
- provitamin A carotenoids and beta carotene;
- alpha tocopherol;
- dietary fiber and fiber.
Caloric content of cloudberries is about 40 kcal per 100 g, and the ratio of energy components is as follows:
- water - up to 83% of the total;
- proteins - 0.8%;
- carbohydrates (fructose, mono- and disaccharides) - about 7.4%;
- lipids - no more than 0.9%.
The beneficial composition of cloudberries for the body
Such a rich qualitative composition led to the fact that local people call cloudberries “the gold of the Arctic”.
Ascorbic acid in excess in the berry strengthens the immune system and stimulates the protective properties of the body. It also contributes to the production of leukocytes, which provide a primary immune response.
Vitamin A protects the dermis and prevents its premature aging. It also contributes to the strengthening of vision and slows down its further loss in myopia or hyperopia.
Magnesium, vitamins B and other components in the composition of the berries have a beneficial effect on the brain, increase concentration and attention, improve memory and performance.
Iron in the berries is involved in the blood and the production of red blood cells. The regular use of cloudberries is an excellent prevention of iron deficiency anemia (anemia).
Fiber triggers the digestive system and intestinal motility, prevents bloating and constipation.
Natural sugars in cloudberries support the body's need for insulin and prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes.
Cloudberries contain polyunsaturated fatty acids that regulate the level of good cholesterol in the bloodstream.
Potassium helps to reduce blood pressure, which is useful in hypertension and related conditions. Also trace element regulates the secretion of cellular fluid.
Antioxidants can prevent the occurrence and development of malignant tumors, as well as slow down the oxidative processes in the body (prevention of acidosis).
Phenols in cloudberries protect against the effects of pathological microorganisms and inhibit their reproduction.
Use of cloudberries in medicine
Due to its many useful and valuable components, cloudberry is used in various fields of medicine as a dietary and dietary supplement.
- It has a diuretic effect. Doctors prescribe cloudberries to improve urination in diseases of the genitourinary system, as well as to detoxify the body. Due to this quality, excess fluid and harmful compounds are removed from the body, which also helps to reduce puffiness.
- Suppresses the development of pathogenic microflora in the digestive tract. It is known that the berry detrimental effect on microbes, bacteria and some parasites of the intestine.
- Normalizes digestion. The unique cloudberry can simultaneously deal with intestinal upset and constipation. To reduce diarrhea, it is recommended to drink concentrated fresh cloudberry juice (diluted with water 1 to 1). For a laxative effect, they brew the leaves of the bush and use the broth three times a day half an hour before meals.
- Strengthens the vascular system. Antioxidants and fatty acids help clean the blood vessels of atherosclerotic and cholesterol plaques and prevent atherosclerosis. Also, the berry strengthens the vascular walls, returns their natural tone, which has a beneficial effect on the work of the cardiovascular system.
- Normalizes blood circulation. Cloudberry juice regulates blood coagulant properties. Also, tocopherol in the composition of the berries restores the blood flow in the limbs, which helps to reduce seizure syndrome.
- Helps restore the urinary system. Cloudberry juice is recommended to drink for renal colic, cystitis, pyelonephritis and other diseases of the excretory system.
- Helps to fight with scurvy. This unpleasant disease is also caused by a deficiency of vitamin C in the menu. Cloudberry contains ascorbic acid in excess, and therefore contributes to a quick cure.
- Regenerates tissue. The northern peoples have long used berry juice to reduce burns during frostbite. The leaves are suitable for therapeutic compresses for purulent wounds, skin rashes and blisters.
- Active struggle with cold. The combination of a shock dosage of vitamin C, antioxidants and tannins can effectively fight the flu, colds, acute respiratory infections and ARVI. Tea from the leaves and sepals of the berry helps sputum discharge, soothes the sore throat.
The benefits of cloudberries for women
Separately, it should be noted that the qualitative composition of the berries has a beneficial effect on the female body.
- Ideal for diet food. First, the components in the composition stimulate metabolism and more complete absorption of lipids and carbohydrates. Secondly, the diuretic effect contributes to the removal of excess fluid from the body, which is at least 1 kg of unwanted weight. Thirdly, the berries themselves have a low calorie content, but at the expense of fructose they perfectly satisfy the appetite and can completely replace the snack.
- Promotes cell rejuvenation. Vitamins A and E in the composition of cloudberries stimulate the production of collagen, protect tissues from exposure to harmful factors. Antioxidants neutralize the effects of free radicals and prevent oxidation, which prolongs the life of each cell.
- Beneficial effect on pregnancy. Cloudberries are rich in vitamins, minerals, organic acids, polyunsaturated fats and trace elements that contribute to the harmonious development of the baby in the womb. Vitamin E in the composition starts the growth processes, which is important in the first trimester, when the basic systems of the child are laid and formed.
- Produces a cosmetic effect. In the CIS countries, cloudberry extract is used not only in pharmaceuticals, but also in medical cosmetology. Professional rulers for skin and hair care use the valuable properties of the fruit, namely:
- soothing effect (skin care in arid heat or winter cold);
- tissue regeneration (restoration of the skin after burns and frostbite, dermatitis);
- anti-inflammatory effect (cosmetics with cloudberry extract suitable for teenage skin prone to acne);
- skin rejuvenation (stimulating the production of elastin and collagen, nutrition of cells);
- stimulation of growth and strengthening of hair, nails.
The valuable berry is saturated with extractive substances and contains natural acids in excess, therefore there are a number of contraindications for its use.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract: increased acidity, heartburn, colitis and enterocolitis, gastritis, ulcers, flatulence, chronic constipation.
- Individual intolerance of cloudberries. With care fruits should also be used by people with an allergy to citrus fruits or other berries.
- Diseases of the cardiovascular system (thrombosis of large veins, thromboembolism, thrombophlebitis, varicose veins).
- High blood pressure. Hypertensive patients do not want to enter into the diet sour berries, especially simultaneously with the intake of drugs.
- Blood clotting disorders. It is forbidden to eat the fruits of patients who are on anticoagulant therapy.
Cloudberry is a storehouse of healthy elements. Eating berries strengthens the internal system, rejuvenates the cells and contributes to the normal functioning of the brain. However, you should not abuse the fruits, since side effects are possible due to the pronounced extractiveness.
Video: useful properties of cloudberries